- Catch Wheel Fever!
Near Caldwell Farmers' Club Hall
Now Open Daily, No Additional Charge
In this new "Catch Wheel Fever!" experience at Old World Wisconsin you can:
- Hop aboard tricycles and bicycles replicated from the era.
- Take a spin around the twists and turns of the bicycle track.
- Tinker at the workbench in a simulated 1890s bicycle repair shop.
- Explore period road maps for cyclists.
- Examine an original 1890s "safety bicycle" manufactured in Kenosha.
- Learn late-19th-century bicycle songs.
You can even become a member of the Badger Wheelmen, a Milwaukee cycling club, put on period apparel, climb aboard a replica high-wheel bike (we have sizes for adults and children) and have a one-of-a-kind photo taken.
"Catch Wheel Fever!" was made possible, in part, by a generous lead grant from the Sally Mead Hands Foundation. Additional support has been provided by the Old World Foundation, Wheel & Sprocket and WE Energies.
After you've caught wheel fever at Old World Wisconsin, enjoy the new exhibit, Shifting Gears: A Cyclical History of Badger Bicycling at the Wisconsin Historical Museum. Explore a fascinating collection of Wisconsin bicycles and learn more about Wisconsin's pivotal role in bicycling from past to present.
Residents of Wisconsin and the nation were crazy about cycling during the 1890s. The rise in bicycle popularity was often called "Wheel Fever." Old World Wisconsin captures the excitement of this era in the new "Catch Wheel Fever!" experience.
Learn more about the cycling craze of the 1890s plus the history of the sport in the Badger State. This photo-filled book is available at the museum store for $24.95.